Sunday, January 15, 2012

Carolina Pit BBQ from the Charlotte Airport/Chocolate Lava Cake EASY homemade and Costa Concordia

In keeping with my theme, how I almost got killed in the last 60 days, I was on the Costa Concordia in early December. Oh my heavens. How awful. My heart goes out to the people on the ship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

Here are some amazing photos. Paul and I looked last night. We had a cabin aft with a balcony and we could actually see the balcony and the deck chairs we sat on still there. WHOA! This is pretty likely just someone on the bridge not paying attention. If the ship listed within a few minutes, half the lifeboats would have been unavailable. I am so glad they were close to shore. As tragic as this is, it could have been even worse.

All this makes paltry subjects like what I had for dinner seem mundane and even disrespectful, but I will go ahead and post it and add, no disrespect to these poor folks intended.

I thought it would be a grand idea, since I was getting home too late to cook, to grab a brisket and a baby back rib plate from the Carolina Pit BBQ window at the Charlotte airport and just re-heat it when I got home.


These folks give heaping portions of the meat, macaroni and cheese (very, very yummy--probably has Velveeta in it!) and beans. They also give you a fried pickle and a piece of cornbread. It is massive and very delicious. They sell STICKY FINGERS BBQ sauce which can be bought in many local markets.


To be sure my baby got something homemade, I made him a chocolate lava cake.
Ladies and gents, this recipes is SO EASY and only takes about 30 minutes total with the baking. Recipe follows.



My husband's opinion of this meal:

THe BBQ: Meat was tender and spicy.
The lava cake: Chocolatey


Chocolate Lava Cake
INGREDIENTS

•4 teaspoons sugar
•1/2 cup butter, cubed
•4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
•1 cup confectioners' sugar
•2 eggs
•2 egg yolks
•1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
•3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
•6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•Whipped cream, optional
•Additional confectioners' sugar, optional

Directions
•Grease the bottom and sides of four 6-oz. ramekins; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
• In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, egg yolks, instant coffee and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt; spoon batter into prepared ramekins.
• Bake at 400° for about 12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and cake sides are set and centers are soft.
• Remove ramekins to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully run a small knife around cakes to loosen. Invert warm cakes onto serving plates. Lift ramekins off cakes. Serve warm with whipped cream or sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment