Monday, February 13, 2012

February13, 2012: Dinner time B&B at good ol UT! I feel a quiz coming on...

Well, it's a call night and once again, scrounging for my supper!

I had such a LARGE meal yesterday (see January 12, 2012), I haven't really been all that hungry. Which is a good thing. But as dinner time rolled around, I thought, "Hmmmm. What is available here at the hospital?" So I trekked off to the bowels of the hospital to the remote "executive dining room."

Need I say, it was SLIM PICKENS again! No, I am not a cannibal. There just weren't many choices.

So after looking around, I settled for a banana and a bagel (with cream cheese.)I topped it off with fat free very cherry yogurt. All in all a very satisfying meal.

So tonight's quiz will be about the BAGEL!

QUESTION 1.
Which of the following statements regarding bagels is FALSE?
A. A bagel can also be spelled beigel.
B. Boiling is a component of producing a traditional bagel.
C. The bagel was created in the shape of a stirrup to commemorate the victory of Poland's King Jan III Sobieski over the Ottoman Turks in the Battle of Vienna in 1683.
D.Bagels were brought to the United States by immigrant Polish-Jews, with a thriving business developing in New York City that was controlled for decades by Bagel Bakers Local 338.
E. Canadian-born astronaut Gregory Chamitoff is the first person known to have taken a batch of bagels into space.

QUESTION 2.
True or False. Lye is used in making bagels.

QUESTION 3.
True or False. "Bagel" is a Yeshivish term for sleeping 12 hours straight, e.g., "I slept a bagel last night."


QUESTION 4.
True or False. Individual large bagel sales exceed bulk package bagel sales.

QUESTION 5.
Which bagel sells best?
A. blueberry
B. Cinnamon raisin
C. onion
D. plain
E. poppyseed

Busting Blueberry Bagels, Batman! Here come the answers!

Question 1. C
Apparently this is a "common misconception." It was probably Poland but more likely in the 16th century...if you ignore the numerous cultures that produced a similar bread not called a bagel...like the Egyptians.

QUESTION 2. True.
Lye is not a lie.

QUESTION 3. True.
My cat goes for 2 bagels a day.

QUESTION 4. False
You're an Einstein if you guessed a bag of bagels.

QUESTION 5. Plain
Plainly, the answer is plain. (What were you thinking?)

Okay. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Saved by guessing plain bagels were popular. I would have done better by picking answers at random.

    ReplyDelete