Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 18, 2012: Pumpkin Waffle Brunch/ Tomato Head late night supper.

Ever since I met someone who appreciated my cooking--that is my sweet hubby-- I have been looking to add to my cooking repetoire. And one thing I think is great, although I don't eat them every day, is WAFFLES. So for months, I searched for a second hand waffle maker in thrift stores. I would go about twice a month and look at our area markets.

Several years ago while looking at Good Eats on Food Network, I heard Alton Brown talking about what to look for in a waffle iron. He recommended a high wattage and a ROUND design rather than square, but I cannot for the life of me remember why.

For months I found waffle makers, but not round ones. Finally, I guess for Christmas my husband let my mother in law, an awesome cook and waffle wielder herself, know that I was wandering through thrift stores looking for a good round waffle maker and she bought one for me.

And not just any wafflemaker mind you. A double sided FLIP waffle maker. I don't know how much she spent, but I am surprised she is not living in a tent after this purchase!

So of course, the first waffles HAD to be made for her. She brought her friend, Ron, a ninety year old very healthy guy from San Angelo, TExas over for 3 pm brunch. As if my mother in law had not done enough already, she brought fixings for mimosas!

It's great she brought them, because I didn't make it home until about 2:30pm and my guests had a bit of gracious waiting to do to get their meal.
I looked around for a great pumpkin waffle recipe, since my husband loves him some pumpkin anything. And I found an old Betty Crocker one:
Waffles
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick® mix 1 1/2 cups milk 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) 1/4 cup vegetable oil 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 2 eggs 1/4 cup chopped pecans Powdered sugar, if desired .

2 Heat waffle iron; grease with cooking spray, vegetable oil or shortening. In large bowl, beat all waffle ingredients except pecans and powdered sugar with wire whisk or hand beater until blended. Pour batter onto center of hot waffle iron. Close lid of waffle iron.
3 Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops and waffle is golden brown. Carefully remove waffle. Sprinkle with pecans and powdered sugar. Serve with syrup

I served these with bacon and mixed sliced fruits.

My husband's opinion: Great. Pumpkin flavor very evident.

Thanks to Jenny and Ron for being our guests, as well as to Paige who was not only a guest, she helped us clean up.

We weren't sure we would eat any dinner, but about 9:30, my husband got "peckish" and wanted to walk up to Tomato Head for a pizza.

It was about 55 degrees out, so people were actually dining outside in mid February. That's one for the books!
No trip my husband makes to eat in Market Square goes without a certain feature either:

The man is ADDICTED to gelato. Coolato has wonderful flavors and since it is made with milk instead of cream, it is very healthy as well. Try them out if you haven't already!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment