Follow by Email

Saturday, February 11, 2012

February 11, 2011: On call and on collards! QUIZZABLE INGREDIENT!

I am back on call at UT Hospital...notice how this is a recurring theme? :)


The doctors in training get their meals for free, which is awesome and I am glad that they do. But the lowly teachers are on their own. There is an "executive cafeteria," but on the weekend, there are only sandwiches. After 6 calls a month for 8 years (That's 576 days--that's over a year and a half of call in the last 8 years...geez!), I get a bit tired of the ham, beef, tuna, chicken salad, and turkey sandwiches, even though they are good. So I am always scrounging around at home looking for something easy to transport and microwave friendly.

So tonight, I am back to Thanksgiving. This Thanksgiving, I did the "turkey thing," but I wanted to eschew the traditional green beans as the green thang on the table. I opted for collard greens. I loves me some collard greens. So tasty and healthy. I made LOTS of collards...lots and lots. SO I froze some and tonight I took them to work.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/collard-greens-recipe/index.html

I used Paula Deen's recipe (except I cooked it for hours in a crockpot instead of on a cooktop) and I am going to include it at the end and the link is above. I re-heated it in the nuke at work and, boy was it good.

So I decided to formulate a quiz for all your potential collard lovers out there!

QUESTION 1
Which of the listed vegetables is not in the family with collards?
A. Turnips
B. Broccoli
C. Cabbage
D. Cauliflour
E. Kohlrabi

QUESTION 2
True or False. Collard greens are a favorite in Bosnia.

QUESTION 3
True of False. Collard green plants can grow up to three feet tall.

QUESTION 4.
True or False. Collard greens are a rich source of Vitamin C.

QUESTION 5.
Which of the following statements is TRUE?
A. There is evidence that both kale and collards were consumed by the Romans.
B. The collard plant originated in South America.
C. Collards are a major commercial crop in the US.
D. Collards will not grow in most soils in Pakistan and Kashmir.
E. Collard plans have interesting diversity in appearance.


HOLD ONTO YOUR HAM HOCKS. Here come the correct answers!

1. A
Turnip greens AIN'T collards...if you are a southerner and you missed this: SHAME ON YOU!

2. True
They LOVE EM! Who knew?

3. False
But they can get 2 feet high.

4. True
Apparently, the C stands for COLLARDS.

5. A
Yep, the myth makers ate em up! They originate in Asia. They are a minor economic food crop in the US. The Pakis and Kashmis are all over em like a rat on a cheetoh. And if you've seen one collard, you have seen em all. However, their cousin, kale is pretty diverse in appearance.

RECIPE FOR COLLARDS
Paula Deen with a little tweak

2 qts of chicken stock
1/2 pound smoked meat (I used smoked ham)
1 tablespoon Tony Cachere season
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
1 large bunch collard greens


In a crock pot, place 2 quarts of stock on high and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce.
Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don't need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-ince thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally. You may have to add water, but probably not. When done taste and adjust seasoning.


ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I miss a few days and fall way behind. Yes, I took the quiz, I got two correct. I have to thank Jared Diamond for that. His book, Guns, Germs, and Steel, has a wonderful section about all about collards, broccoli, kale, cauliflower... I didn't recall reading anything about turnips though.

    Still, tough quiz.

    ReplyDelete